Saturday, May 9, 2009

Graduation Season – Graduation Day!!!

Spring is over and the summer is around the bend, from that it is fair to assume that the semester has come to a close. This would mean only one thing; it is graduation season once again. Though not in school any more, once again, today I graduated. I sat though AAMUs’ commencement with an excitement as if I sat among the class of o’nine. I watched on as grandaunts gave testimony on stage and on the green. There were beach balls bouncing around, caps flying in the wind, and air horns causing a ruckus. Its an HBCU what else could we expect. The time has come for a few familiar names to acknowledge. First off, lily J. Nelson, her name was called and she crossed the staged, one down, Velma’s name was called and she walked across the stage. Marg’s name was called and she strutted….Phd!!!….Damn!!!! Ok so I am good have support my island people. Did my scream and shout just in elation for all those struggles that I saw them go through. So I thought my work here is done, off to UAH. Left from the hill and drove to the other side of town to see the first leg of UAH’s graduation (my geek school). Got there just in time to hear the degrees were confirmed, perfect timing. Certainly was not really to keen on hearing any speech from distinguished guess speaker. Can you tell me who spoke at your graduation?...Did not think so.

So who do we have here in this class of ’09 UAH fall edition? One Lucian, or two if we count the absentee Ms. Augusta. The rest we shall call the global connection, no relation to the Italian pizza connection. This list is way to long so we keep the shout outs under ten; Bo (Asian connect), Lisa Blanchard (just in case), Christy (Bama connect), Shigue (Asian connect), Marishka (Indian connect), Marcus (Detroit connect), Derrick (Bama connect), Woody (Tennessee connect). Job well done guys, if this is your first time I say go back for more.

The ceremony is over and the excitement is still in the air. Did I walk across the stage in my head and was not aware of it? Did I move a tassel to the right…or to the left? In any event I felt like a tassel was moved. Cameras flashing, hands shaking, hugs given, smiles exchanged, and yes congratulations are definitely in order. And that’s when it hit me, as I said earlier… today I graduated. I graduated with my peers; they achieved miles stones I had done while I stepped up further in to the world. Today I graduated to Fiancé, WOW!!! Now I know where this feeling emerged. Felt like the atmosphere of an airport arrival area. Guess I had it all day, for it was not too long ago I came from the airport where I greeted my best friend, my number one support, my motivation, my encouragement, my queen,…. my Precious!!!

1 comment:

Charene Carrington said...

Wow. What an awesome tribute. This is really nice...and clever. Milestones as "graduation" hey? Genius :)